Re: (newbie) please be kind...

On  8 Dec 97 at 21:52,  shorti <shorti@apci.net> wrote:

> hello all:
>
> ok - here's the deal: i have very limited experience with c, although i'm
> figuring out the text-driven stuff fairly well. i would like to write
> windows programs using my new found resources, but i know next to nothing
> about API, integrating dll's, etc.  does anyone know of any good
> tutorials/references on win32 (or c in general) on the web?  maybe if you
> have nothing better to do over christmas holiday, you could write one?  or
> is it just easier for me to go out and buy a book?  If you have a list of
> links related to (c, win32) programming, it would be greatly appreciated..
> i'll compile it to a webpage somewhere...

Hi!

Concerning C, you got to read the founding fathers: Kernighan &
Ritchie's The C Programming Language.  Other interesting book, if a
little out of date is Holub's The C Companion, that explains
intuitively and in detail things about pointers et al. that we only
learn after 10 years of C programming. :-)

Concerning the Win32 API, DLLs etc., there's another book almost as
good as K & R: it is Programming Windows 95, by Charles Petzold with
Paul Yao.  It was a classic for the first Windows (2.X & 3.X).  Now
it shows its age, but it is probably the best introduction to the
subject available.

Concerning Web sites, please take a look at the page Hello Windows!,
at
	http://www.relisoft.com/win32/winnie.html
by Reliable Software.  The page
	http://www.relisoft.com/index.htm
gives access to other interesting things at their site.

Good links can be found at Webopaedia
	http://www.pcwebopedia.com/

and whatis.com
	http://www.whatis.com/

Regards,
++Hilton

Hilton Fernandes
email: hgfernan@usp.br
       hilton@lsi
www:   http://www.lsi.usp.br/~hilton.html
M. Sc. Student of Parallel Distributed Applications
at LSI (Laboratory of Integrated Systems)
University of S. Paulo - Brazil
-