re: Anybody ever gotten dvips (TeX) to work ?

>  From: Jason Alan Nordwick <nordwick@graft.XCF.Berkeley.EDU>, on 12/28/97
2:21 PM:
>  Also, what do pdftex and pdflatex do ?  I thought that they might
>  generate pdf files, but they still give me a dvi file and dvips
>  chokes on.

To produce pdf output from a latex file, you have to add in the
beginning of the file two lines:

\pdfcompresslevel=9
\pdfoutput=1

After that, if you type in the Run field of the Start menu

pdflatex yourfile

where yourfile is the name of your latex file, you get a pdf output.

For more details, see David Meeker's

http://members.aol.com/dcm3c/running.pdf

Also, see the Miktex project page

http://www.inx.de/~cschenk/miktex/

By the way, at the end of that page you can find the address
of the MikTex mailing list, probably they can help to solve your
dvips problem. My dvips (from the MiKTeX 1.09 installation)
works excellent.

Thank you, and have nice holidays,
Alec Mihailovs
http://www.math.upenn.edu/~mihailov/