Re: Case sensitive filenames

On 20-Jan-1998, Earnie Boyd <earnie_boyd@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Nathan Glasser <nathan@alexandria.lcs.mit.edu>:
> >
> >When I use ls, as in "ls *.txt", I won't see the upper case or
> >mixed case examples, because the program is case sensitive. This is a
> >real pain,
>
> It is only a pain to the non-UNIX person.  This is a product to help
> port UNIX programs from UNIX to WIN32.  UNIX is case sensitive and the
> filesystem commands have been left as case sensitive even though the
> supporting file system is case insensitive.

But the filesystem commands haven't all been left as case sensitive!

The current system is inconsistent, because *some* of the file system
commands (e.g. cat foo.txt) are case insensitive, while others
(e.g. cat *.txt) are case sensitive.

> Again, this is not a pain for the UNIX programmer.

Are you arguing that the way things are currently done is the best way
that they could possibly be done?

--
Fergus Henderson <fjh@cs.mu.oz.au>   |  "I have always known that the pursuit
PGP: finger fjh@128.250.37.3         |     -- the last words of T. S. Garp.