Re: bash and '&'

>From: "Wei Ku" <wku1@utk.edu>
>To: <gnu-win32@cygnus.com>
>Subject: Re: bash and '&'
>Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 18:15:50 -0500
>
>You are right about '&' which originally means "background".
>
>However, if one runs a job with '&' in bash or use 'ctrl-z' + "bg"
>combination to send a job to background, the job will survive even one
log
>out of bash with "exit" command. That it, it is still running with PPID
= 1.
>This is "equivalent" to the functionality of "nohup" command. I
accidentally
>found this nice feature on IBM AIX machine. After that, I have not used
>"nohup" anymore -- too lazy to type ;-)
>
>I do not know how bash achieves this. I just know that this is really
great
>if one submits a long job without using "nohup" command and decide to
log
>out. Based on the test I did on AIX machine, ksh did not do this. (
This is
>one of the reason I switch to bash. )
>
>Please correct me if my idea is not right. Also, if someone knows how
this
>is done in bash, I would love to understand how it is done by bash.
>
>Thank you in advance.
>
>Wei Ku

This is taken from the bash.info file:
---from bash.info---
The shell exits by default upon receipt of a `SIGHUP'.  Before exiting,
it resends the `SIGHUP' to all jobs, running or stopped.  To
prevent the shell from sending the `SIGHUP' signal to a particular job,
remove it from the jobs table with the `disown' builtin (*note Job
Control Builtins::.) or use `disown -h' to mark it to not receive
`SIGHUP'.
---end bash.info---

I could find no switches to force this to happen automatically.  Perhaps
the AIX bash you used was modified to allow this to happen.

<snip>

---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
-earnie_boyd@hotmail.com-
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------