Re: makedepend binary

vasu,

you can use gcc to generate make dependencies. it is better
than makedepend. here are the relevant gcc flags:

`-M'
     Tell the preprocessor to output a rule suitable for `make'
     describing the dependencies of each object file.  For each source
     file, the preprocessor outputs one `make'-rule whose target is the
     object file name for that source file and whose dependencies are
     all the `#include' header files it uses.  This rule may be a
     single line or may be continued with `\'-newline if it is long.
     The list of rules is printed on standard output instead of the
     preprocessed C program.

     `-M' implies `-E'.

     Another way to specify output of a `make' rule is by setting the
     environment variable `DEPENDENCIES_OUTPUT' (*note Environment
     Variables::.).

`-MM'
     Like `-M' but the output mentions only the user header files
     included with `#include "FILE"'.  System header files included
     with `#include <FILE>' are omitted.

`-MD'
     Like `-M' but the dependency information is written to a file made
     by replacing ".c" with ".d" at the end of the input file names.
     This is in addition to compiling the file as specified--`-MD' does
     not inhibit ordinary compilation the way `-M' does.

     In Mach, you can use the utility `md' to merge multiple dependency
     files into a single dependency file suitable for using with the
     `make' command.

`-MMD'
     Like `-MD' except mention only user header files, not system
     header files.

`-MG'
     Treat missing header files as generated files and assume they live
     in the same directory as the source file.  If you specify `-MG',
     you must also specify either `-M' or `-MM'.  `-MG' is not
     supported with `-MD' or `-MMD'.

--
Yigal
-