Re: gcc compiler output

Hi Earnie,

Earnie Boyd wrote:
> I don't know if this would work with cygwin.  The specs file does a
> -Di386.  However, I haven't checked what happens in the specs file
> with -ansi.
>
> > You could still detect your platform by checking for '__i386__'
>
> Is this true for the cygwin gcc tools?  Is this macro defined?  It
> isn't in the specs file.

Sorry, I should have checked this with a test program before I posted. I
have checked it now with my b18 installation (with and without mingw32)
and I assume nothing has changed in that area in b19 (?).

What I stated is in the docs, and is the way it should be. For all
pre-defined macros that indicate the hardware or OS platform the form
'__i386__' should be always defined, 'i386' only without -ansi. At the
moment it seems that actually 'i386' is always pre-defined. This is a
bug.

I don't know enough about the syntax of the specs file (where is that
documented anyway?) to be sure about how this works, but I experimented
a bit. -Di386 occurs twice in it. If I remove the -Di386 from the
section "*cpp_cpu" it seems to work as documented. I also checked the
compiler headers and they only seem to use __i386__ whereever they need
this functionality, so removing -Di386 from the '*cpp_cpu' section seems
save.

so long, benny