Re: GNU-Win32 distribution question

For those that are happy with the stock hierarchy
and work well with it, thats cool, but since variety
is the spice of life - Here's a novel thought:

Simply move:

headers -> /usr/include
libraries -> /usr/lib
binaries -> /usr/bin or /bin since sh.exe is already there anyway.

You Unixers out there will laugh & say duhhhhhhhhhhhh ...
although you'd be correcting me with /usr/local, I'm sure.

I then blow away the entire Cygnus hierarchy.
(Not entirely true, I maintain it on an isolated host to
try to keep up with Sergey's winsup & newlib updates)

Admittedly, this in not a hot idea on real Unix machines
but since these paths don't already exist on a Windoze
machine, it works real nice.  Don't forget that the default
search path for headers & libs is /usr/include & /usr/lib,
respectively.  Now this assumes that the developer knows
enough about makefiles to make the proper adjustments
for things like -lcygwin et. al. (I don't mess w/ specs)

If your using gdb then you also need to do the tk/tcl stuff:

I created:

/usr/share/tcl8.0
/usr/share/tix4.1
/usr/share/tk8.0

added them to my path along with /bin & /usr/bin & bingo.

I don't need to worry about GCC_EXEC_PREFIX or any of the rest.
I'm (a moment of silence for Jerry & the gang) the master of my domain.

I've got this setup on an NT4.0 machine and export these directories to
other machines on my net (ALL Win95) and I compile & debug jus' fine.

This has worked both hunky & dorey for me since b17.something .

The way I see it, the mildly complex tangle we get from Cygnus is what
works for THEM to maintain their products (esp. for multi-platform).
Thats cool, people would freak on my internal scheme as well.
But if your like me and just want to USE the basic tools (compile, link,
debug etc.)
and want to be ABSOLUTELY sure what is coming from where, better to take a
little responsibility rather that clog the email waves with silly problems
arising from mixing versions and the like.

This is not to say that I feel this thread is one of those, IT IS NOT.

Now, the one thing that I do do differently is that I don't use bash, ash,
trash or any of the other cygwin reliant shell programs, I ditched them at
the first sign of trouble (they intermittently choke on my makes).
It may be my fault, but since I knew I had something else that worked
successfully for me, I went that way.  I use sh.exe from the
old NeXT OpenSTEP releases 4.x and of course, I also use their version of
make.
Its commercial so it ain't free.  But since Apple has gobbled them up and
now
it seems put them(Rhapsody) under for good, I'll bet it can be had.  Their
pricing
practices were, unfortunately, much like their lesser cousin Apple who
pioneered the
way to put yourself out of business with a superior product.  But I
digress.

da bisk

-