RE: How to clear the screen with bash ?

I've just had a play using bash on Linux, and if it works the same way
then "^L" only works for me if I have emacs style editing switched on
("set -o emacs").  I'm more comfortable with vi commands so use "set -o
vi", in which case "^L" only clears the screen if I first escape to
command mode.

I think the "^L" in this case is working like the refresh screen would
in the editor, so that if you are part way through a command and type
"^L" the command is redisplayed as well as the screen being cleared.