Re: Makefile for JNI on eNp-Ty

> Henry J. Cobb wrote:
>
> In my continuing mission to use the CygWin32 tools to build Java
> products,
> I now have a makefile for Java Naive Interface DLLs, but unfortunately
> it only works with the M$ C compiler so far...

Henry,

Attached are some hints I've accumulated for doing JNI with GNU-WIN32.

--Andrew Mickish
  http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/~mickish/

Subject:  More Java JNI with GNU-WIN32 gcc
   Date:  Mon, 10 Aug 1998 08:35:16 -0400
   From: Andrew Mickish <mickish@cmu.edu>
     To:  gnu-win32@cygnus.com

Here are a few more issues that came up when trying to compile
a JNI DLL with gcc.

*  There are two different problems that could cause Unsatisfied
   link errors.  One is if the DLL is not found, and the other is
   if the DLL is found but is unreadable or the specific function
   cannot be found in it.  These problems are distinguishable by
   the stack trace that you get below the "Unsatisfied link error,"
   and also by testing for changes in behavior when you run Java
   after deliberately deleting the DLL or deliberately renaming
   some arbitrary text file to be your DLL.

*  The directory containing the DLL ought to be in your PATH.
   The recommended way to set your path is to change it with the
   System control panel and open a new window.  The cygnus.bat file
   munges the path a little itself, so my own path ends up looking
   like this:

bash-2.01$ echo $PATH
/Cygnus/B19/H-i386-cygwin32/bin:/WINNT/system32:/WINNT:/utils:/enscript://E/jdk1.1.5/bin://E/java/HelloWorld

*  I had to hand-edit the DEF file and put in an alias for the
   exported function.  Without the alias, it seems that Cygnus is
   exporting the mangled name of the function with its offset
   ("...@8") and Java is looking for an unmangled name
   (or vice versa).  My DEF file looks like this:

bash-2.01$ cat hello.def
EXPORTS
Java_HelloWorld_displayHelloWorld=Java_HelloWorld_displayHelloWorld@8
dll_entry@12

Please let me know if any of this has been helpful.

--Andrew Mickish
  mickish@cmu.edu