Re: cp/mv/rm problems with .exe extension filenames

I've had several responses on this situation, and they all said about the
same thing:  there's a shell-script wrapper you can put around the 'install'
command that will fix this.  I understand that, and that would certainly
make sense for Makefiles that use the 'install' command instead of the cp,
mv, rm, etc. commands individually.  BUT, what about the Makefiles that
don't? As I said before, I've built several GNU-style packages (vim, bash,
etc.), and all of them use the individual commands to install files, rather
than using the 'install' command.  So the install command fix doesn't truly
fix all of the problems.

Like I said before, this seems to be a major hole in the UNIX compatibility
of GNU-win32.  According to GNU standards.info:

    "The `configure' script and the Makefile rules for building and
     installation should not use any utilities directly except these:

          cat cmp cp diff echo egrep expr false grep install-info
          ln ls mkdir mv pwd rm rmdir sed sleep sort tar test touch true"

So, these packages that I've tried to use are "standard" GNU packages, but
they won't install.  Hasn't anyone else seen this?   Am I still missing
something?

I do realize that I could apply the same type of fix (a shell wrapper) to
each of these files without a lot of work, but before I do that, I want to
make sure I'm seeing this right.  It just seems like a lot of other people
would have had a lot of headaches over this situation!

Steve Hein
Silicon Graphics, Inc.
ssh@cray.com

-