Re: bash "pregnant pauses" revisited (B19 on NT 4.0)

|> I don't know what the default mail path for the bash.exe shipped with
|> B19 is (echo $MAILPATH or $MAIL doesn't print anything), but I took a
|> hex editor to look into the binary and found an instance of the string
|> "unknown" not far from occurances of MAIL and MAILPATH. I patched the
|> string from "unknown" to "no-idea", and guess what, the system started
|> to query my name server for "no-idea". Gotcha.

Read from line 1149 onwards in aclocal.m4 (in bash 2.01), that starts
with the very telling words:
  AC_DEFUN(BASH_DEFAULT_MAIL_DIR,
  [AC_MSG_CHECKING(for default mail directory)

and ends after lots of checking with:
   AC_DEFINE(DEFAULT_MAIL_DIRECTORY, "unknown")

Looks like whoever builds the distributions could make us all the favour
of first creating the directory /usr/spool/mail (or any of the other
ones that are checked for)?

Cheers,
//lat
--
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.  However, this is not
necessarily a good idea.  It is hard to be sure where they are going

-