Re: EGCS-1.1 binary distribution for Cygwin32 b19 and mingw32

Mumit Khan <khan@xraylith.wisc.edu> writes:

> On 6 Sep 1998, Peter Dalgaard BSA wrote:
>
> > ...but no cross-compiler build instructions yet, I suppose? Do you
> > think that you could do us the favour to put a copy of each of all
> > those snapshots somewhere in the FTP tree?
> >

> Just a matter of having the time. I'm planning to upload the binutils
> diffs sometime over the weekend, and the rest you can get from the binary
> distribution (eg., the headers and such). Please let me know if what
> I need to make available other than the following (and that can't be
> trivially extracted from the binary distributions):
>
>   - diffs to egcs-1.1 source tree.
>   - diffs to binutils-980830 tree (binutils-2.9.1 will work as well).

The thing to consider is if you want the binutils-980830 tree *itself*
somewhere on-site. Last time around you had a version based on a
similar snapshot of Colins mingw32 files, but when I got around to
trying the cross build, the snapshot had disappeared from Colins
site... (no real harm done since one could just extract the headers
and binaries from the native version)

I.e. what I mean is that when you build on something that's not an
official release, it may be a good idea to keep a copy of it around.
Even when an improved version of it is subsequently released, it can
be important to have a "known good" configuration which is supposed to
patch cleanly and compile without error. On the other hand it
obviously takes up space in your FTP area...

In the present case, the new windres is the thing that I fear could
get caught if the binutils tree should destabilise for some reason.
The other things are, as you say extractable from the native binaries,
so it's mainly of academic interest if one wants to be able to
compile them from scratch.

BTW: Is there an overview of new features in the new windres? The old
one tended to fall a bit short on resources originating in Visual C.
(The real trouble is that I don't really have time to play with it
just now, unless I'm fairly sure there's a substantial gain in doing
so.)
~~~~~~~~~~ - (p.dalgaard@biostat.ku.dk)             FAX: (+45) 35327907
-