WinZip vs. Tar (Was Re: WinZip [Re: Egcs 1.1 having trouble with 'typename'?])

Hi folks,

On 23 Sep 98, at 15:15, the Illustrious Mumit Khan wrote:

Date sent:      	Wed, 23 Sep 1998 15:15:46 -0500 (CDT)
From:           	Mumit Khan <khan@xraylith.wisc.edu>
To:             	gnu-win32@cygnus.com
Subject:        	WinZip [Re: Egcs 1.1 having trouble with 'typename'?]

> On 22 Sep 1998, Michael Hirmke wrote:
>
> > Hi Michael,
> >
> > [...]
> > >Mhmm, didn't Mumit mean that?
> >
> > He said:
> > "I distribute .tar.gz, instead of .zip, to avoid such issues" ???
> >
> > Which issues, when WinZIP can deal with .tar.gz ?
> >

> Let's end this discussion please.

	Agreed.

> I have neither the time nor inclination to figure out what various WinZip
> options, or the correct version number, to do the right thing for .tar.gz
> archive with hard- and sym-links in them.

	Nor should you need to Mumit, as it is _not_ (imho) your responsibility
given how much you are involved with EGCS.

	So, for those who are curious, WinZip can _not_ handle any sort of
symbolic linking whatsoever, period.  Of course, if it were run in a Unix shell,
it might be able to...

	Let's face it, folks; WinZip is defined/designed for MS Windows platforms
and not for anything else.

	The fact that WinZip is capable of handling .tar and .tgz is nothing more
than a convenience that was added by NicoMac computing for those who
haven't a clue about the differences between .tar, .tgz, .gzip, .zip or tar.gz
type files.  Of course, it is _convenient_ for non-Unix aware users...

	For the record --

		You can _not_ integrate Unix sym_links with NT links or any other
MS proprietary OS without some very special precautions taken beforehand,
such as making available a _working_ Unix shell (Cygwin32/EGCS) or
defining a program of some sort that can understand and/or translate a Unix
sym_link to something that any MS platform can understand (The Alpha
NTOS is the only exception I can think of).  An MS .lnk file is _not_ a Unix
sym_link, feel free to check the MS documentation.

	Peace,

		Paul G.

Nothing real can be threatened.
    Nothing unreal exists.