Re: BUG: egcs-1.1-mingw32 - gcc -o hello hello.C

On Thu, 15 Oct 1998, Charles Wilson wrote:

> Up until recently, I believe that gcc when called on a c++ source file,
> would call g++, and everything would be fine. This broke at gcc 2.8.0 on
> HP-UX, so now you have to call g++ explicitly. I don't know the heritage of
> egcs, but it could have inherited this behavior, and thus (egcs) gcc does
> not helpfully call (egcs) g++ for you.

If you haven't seen my followup to Earnie's 2nd posting on this, it'll
soon show up on the list and I won't repeat myself.

I'll summarize quickly: GCC has *always*, and still does, called the C++
compiler when it sees certain suffix, and still does. That has nothing to
do with linking however, and GCC has *never* linked in the C++ runtime if
invoked as gcc as opposed to g++/c++.

The only difference in gcc-2.8.0 is that g++ no longer links in the
deprecated libg++ automatically. Before 2.8.0, c++ will only link in
libstc++ and g++ will add libg++ in addition to libstdc++. Now, both
c++ and g++ are identical in behaviour.

It is not a bug, and the behaviour remains the same (minus, and possibly
plus, a few bug fixes in how the driver works). Of course, I'm talking
about gcc2 days; g++ 1.x was a different beast altogether.

I do sympathize with folks who misunderstand how the language drivers in
gcc is supposed to work; the documentation is not at all clear, and I
obviously haven't done anything to improve it.

Any followups to gcc or egcs related mailing lists please.

Regards,
Mumit

-