B20: Kaffe configure script locking on NT 4.0.

The configure script in Kaffe's source tree seems to be causing the Cygwin
(b20) tools no end of grief on my Windows NT 4.0 workstation.  Basically,
the script starts running and producing the expected output ("checking for
foobie... yes" "checking for bletch... no"), but at random points the script
just stops executing.  BASH (in the form of /bin/sh.exe) sits there and
sucks up 100% of the CPU time, but nothing gets executed.  Control-C
processing doesn't work, but the console window can be terminated.

The problem is partially deterministic.  I can replicate it 100% of the time
-- I've never had the configuration script successfully run to completion.
It breaks at different points, however, with each run.  Sometimes it stops
very early in the process (seemingly before it even gets the chance to
execute the first sub-script), sometimes it stops after processing
seemingly hundreds of checks.  It never actually finishes, however.

Can somebody please give me an idea of a) what the problem could be and b)
what I can do to work around it?  (Please CC my personal address on any