WIN NT File Structure

In working to install various GNU and CYGNUS tools, I find that the assumed file structure is sometimes hard to comprehend - because I'm not a big UNIX user I guess.

Any suggestions how to create a file structure that will work well for GNU and CYGNUS tools?

"Work well" means:

1)  Be usable without a lot of trouble when it's all installed.

2)  Be easy to comprehend installation instructions during installation.

Seems this would be very helpful to a lot of people and might reduce the number of questions asked during installation.