RE: cygwin compiled DLLs

I'm not sure; the problem I think is that you mix CRunTime DLLs: when compiling
with VC++, your code includes references to msvcrt.dll, where, for example,
malloc/free and open/read/write/close (as well as stdin/stdout assignment code)
is defined; when you enter your DLL, you get the same routines, but from
cygwin.dll...

To confirm that type "cygcheck VC++-compile-prog"; if you get references to
both msvcrt.dll and cygwin.dll, you're stuck!...

In my mind what you want to do will only be possible if, when compiling with
VC++, you use the include files from the cygwin release, not those from the
VC++ release and only use cygwin.dll (not any other cygwin-provided libraries,
as these are '.a' that I'm not sure that VC++ can read, nor any VC++ provided
LIB or DLL, as these will most certainly reference msvcrt.DLL)...

I'm afraid that, if I'm right, that using VC++ and cygwin is not a very useful
tool...

The moral here maybe that either you write uniw programs, and you have to use
cygwin, or you write windows programs, and you may use either gcc (with
-mno-cygwin and corrected libraries from Mumit) or you use VC++...

Hope this helps, (even if for you I hope to be wrong...)

Regards,

	Bernard

> I would be very very grateful for any further thoughts, as I
> am now stuck.
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> Matthew Brett

Bernard Dautrevaux