libm.a for Mingw32?

On Tue, 9 Feb 1999, Mumit Khan wrote:
> Yes, you need the migwn32 target libraries if you're linking against
> libm.a, libstdc++ (C++), libiberty (BSD'ish porting routines), what not.

	I've been wondering: from where did you compile the libm.a for the
Mingw32 target from? Is this from the newlib package thats in the Cygwin
B20.1 source tree?  I guess I'm a little anal about using pre-built binary
packages ;-).  I prefer building them myself from source.  Not only is it
very educational, but I also get to control exactly what and where things
get installed.

	FWIW - I've compiled simple test programs which uses functions
that are supposed to be in libm.a (at least on Linux it is) such as pow(),
but they linked and executed just fine even though I didn't specify -lm on
the linker command line.  Is having a libm.a absolutley necessary?

	Thanks.

Arcadio Alivio Sincero Jr.
Computer Science Major, University of Maryland Baltimore County

WWW: http://www.sinceronet.ddns.org (COMING REAL SOON NOW(tm)!!!)
E-Mail: mailto:asincero@sinceronet.ddns.org
Snail mail: P.O. Box 2081, Annapolis MD, 21404-2081

"NT disaster recovery isn't all the difficult.  Just follow the
 simple instructions that come with the Linux CD."