Re: Cygwin B20 - fseek under gcc fails to reposition on text files

Paul Sokolovsky wrote:
>     So, for more than twenty years MS maintains myth about "special
> format" of text files of their systems. It's hardly believable. Since
> my old XT I quite nicely handled any text files - be they Unix \xa,
> Mac \xd, or "dos" \xd\xa . So there's nothing special to talk about
> "special" format of text files. Most tools available handled any type,
> and conversion between formats was quite feasible. With win32, such
> problems are ceased at all - I don't have no line endings problems, no
> encoding problems, even that unicode seams to be here.

As a matter of fact: Peter's c example, which opens this thread, does
not work with VC++, if the newline is not \r\n. Look into the source
of M$-ftell(), it can't work.

The best way would be to throw away and ignore any newline with
more than one single character.

But let's get serious.

IMHO, above all text file processing should be done according to the
underlying OS and it's vendor, also if this is wretched.

The second choice has the advantage, to be easy to implement.

The third choice should be implemented, if s.o. has nothing important
to do.

Regards,
Corinna