Re: Cygwin B20 - fseek under gcc fails to reposition on text files

On Thu, Feb 18, 1999 at 06:38:46PM +0200, Paul Sokolovsky wrote:
>    Bad thing is that issue very minor. People might don't care what
>line-endings text files have, they might don't care that there's
>notepad and bat files. And when their favorite vi chokes on that \r at
>the end (or beginning? ;-) ) of line they might teach him chop it -
>after all, that's not notepad. But they might think that wrapping each
>command piping binary files in shell script setting CYGWIN (having
>spent some nice time trying to understand why their files are
>corrupted and asking maillist why this bug) is too awkward.

Actually, as far as pipes are concerned, they default to binmode
unless overridden by CYGWIN so this should not be an issue.

>   Of course, that far too imaganable picture, just like my previous
>massage has, just like several years ago cygwin itself was only
>imaganable. I don't believe that things enpictured by me will be, or
>even should be, done to cygwin. I just wanted to hyperbolize it,
>showing that changing itself is not an edge alternative, all
>determained by ammount of changes, and there might be the golden mean,
>exactly what you'll do. (That's just because I have a ho that Cygnus
>guys quite conservative - I remember Christopher Faylor's hesitating
>in cygwin-developer whether correcting bug won't break user (or
>customer) code. Maybe you, Corinna, as leading contributor, and DJ, as
>author of alternative approach, and working for Cygnus, have other
>opinions).

I have no idea what, specifically, you are referring to but it is
interesting that you find it "quite conservative" to consider caring
about breaking somebody's code.  You are probably referring to my
soliciting of opinions on the subject of breaking API compatibility
with a new cygwin DLL.  This was obviously a subject which deserved
careful consideration and it was something that I was willing to do.
In fact, it is something that *will* occur in a future release.

Regardless, if you look at the ChangeLog in the last year, you'll find
that I'm the author of a lot of radical changes in Cygwin.

I am not at all opposed to the idea of somebody fixing ftell/fseek
to work as Microsoft has documented them or as DJGPP has currently
implemented things.  I've written a stdio layer myself and I know
that this is not a trivial undertaking, though.  Certainly no
one at Cygnus has the time right now to undertake this.

Currently, Corinna, Mumit, and a couple of other people are the only
outside contributers to the project.  Everyone else seems to be in
"Cygwin doesn't work the way I think it should when I run program X.
Here's the error message." mode.

I'm collecting the error messages and hope to investigate problems but
the reality is that this is a volunteer effort for DJ and me.  Our
real jobs don't offer much time for tracking down net problems.

-chris