Re: Total lack of accurate documentation!

> First, it's nice to know that this list is populated by so many thin
> skinned jerks that don't mind typing off a quick e-mail who's contents
> they'd NEVER say to someone's face!

I hope you're not referring to me, because I'm pretty thick skinned
and I *would* say it to your face.  However, if you heard it
face-to-face you'd realize that I'm not saying what I say to be a
jerk, but that I mean well and I want to bring up issues so that they
can be *resolved*, not rubbed in peoples noses.  Some things get lost
in email, so I usually assume the best of people.

> I have no problem helping write documentation.  First I need to learn
> the product.  This would be facilitated by easier access to the mailing
> list except my mail server refuses to let me connect to the cygwin one.
> Something about a known source of spam or some such.  Never seen that
> before.

Mail me one of the bounces (try postmaster@delorie.com if my server
bounces you too) and I'll see if I can point out what your site needs
to do to get off the spam filters.

> As I can not actually respond the e-mail vie the 'reply' function,

Why not?

> Relating to what DJ Delorie said:  thanks for the note.  Having only one
> person handling documentation for a product this size must really suck!

Yup.  Having only two cygnus developers (part time, at that) sucks
too, but we make do with what we've got.

> I'll try and compile a list of stuff I've found to be inaccurate and
> forward them.  Until then, is there anything in particular you could use
> some help with?

No, nothing in particular.  We try to fix the things *we* know about,
at least :-)

> As to the two problems I mentioned, yes, the alias was fixed by
> removing the spaces.

Great!

> Several people mentioned the mount issue, though I
> didn't understand fully their intent.  If I do a 'mount' I can see where
> d:\temp is mounted to /tmp.  I can cd to /tmp. But /tmp does not show up
> in a ls -la.

Exit from bash, so that you're back in command.com (or cmd.exe).
*Now* make the directory, so that it's a real windows-type directory.
(i.e: "C:\> mkdir \tmp").  Now go back into bash.  The presence of a
real directory under the cygwin mount point makes some of the cygwin
functions behave better, like opendir (on which ls is based).

> Under unix this never would have been an issue, so apparently I just
> don't understand the port.  Can someone point out where I screwed up?

Under unix, the mount would have *failed* without the underlying mount
point directory.  Cygwin allows you to mount things without the
underlying directory, a point which has been argued both ways in the
past, which has some benefits and, as you see, some problems.