Re: setmode (long)

Pierre A. Humblet wrote:

> I had a second look (b20.1 on win95) at your problem
> and it's not what I thought initially,
> i.e. a basic problem with the cygwin layer in b20.1,
> which tends to open too many files as binary.
>
> In your output, each time you look at test.out
> the FIRST return of setmode is the same as the argument of setmode,
> i.e. O_TEXT. Thus in all your runs the file was initially TEXT,
> although the output appears to be binary.
> At any rate setmode had no effect.
>
> Next I duplicated your experiments (standard g++ in b20.1 only).
> I don't trust editors to look at CR in files and used "od -c test.out".
> That shows an extra  ^M on all lines compared to your output.
> On a binary mounted system test.out is initially binary (as it should),
> but the output is the same.  Also setmode works for stdout.
>
> Next I wrote a similar test in C. There setmode works as expected.
>
> I am wondering what you see if you look at your files with od -c,
> and if you agree that setmode works in a C program
> (that would point to a C++ error (?))

I verified the results of `vi' (`vim' not `elvis')
with the results of `od' before I sent the original message.
I included the results from `vi' in my original message
because they are easier to read.
I thought it would be obvious from the `test.dos' and `test.cyg' output
that `vi' accurately represented the actual contents of the file.

Do `vi' and `od' give you different results on your system?

E. Robert Tisdale <edwin@netwood.net>