Re[2]: Cygwin participation threshold

Hello Weiqi,

Weiqi Gao <weiqigao@a.crl.com> wrote:

WG> There is a sense of the "power of personality" in the DJGPP project.
WG> For example, DJ never complained about not enough people contributing.
WG> And Eli Zarreskii(?) had never gone into an argument with a user,
WG> contributing or not.  He's been sending out ten pieces of emails per day
WG> for three(?) years now, and fifty percent of them are "Read the FAQ".
WG> He's accumulated quite a bunch "lose your temper for free" card now!

     If you imply current discussion, I don't think you're right. I
haven't heard any complaints about not enough people contributing
from Cygwin people. Instead, they was so attentive to explain this. I
don't think that's bad. Such discussion may help them to make cygwin
better and make cygwin users better understand cygwin and its
developers. As for latter, I think it's an important privilege open
source community (and companies) give their members (and users), which
many other organizations unable to give.

WG> DOS is also more primitive, simpler, and more UNIX like than Windows.
WG> And DJGPP is more kernel like than wrapper/call forwarder/translator
WG> like than Cygwin.  It is higher on the Cool scale than Cygwin.  It's
WG> almost the "GNU operating system with the DJGPP kernel".

    I agree with you about DJGPP. I however disagree about Win32. My
argument is "They tried hard and they tried long and what they did is
exactly POSIX (I prefer that term) system, but it advertizes its
POSIXness in rather strange and shy words". I may only feel pity that
cygwin can't teach it speak loud and eloquently.

WG> Here's a challenge: Name as many as you can, any widely spread free
WG> software (in the FSF free speech sense) packages that's originated from
WG> DOS/Windows.  The closest I can come up is an editor called the PFE
WG> (Programmers File Editor) which is a Notepad clone.  But you can't get
WG> the source of it.

    From such observations I devised that "two types" theory. ;-)

WG> The fact that Microsoft "owns" Windows might have something to do with
WG> it.

    But God with that they own it. What may displease some people is
observation that they own all end user sector of computer industry,
and more frightenly - attitudes of those users.

WG> --
WG> Weiqi Gao
WG> weiqigao@a.crl.com

Best regards,