Re: bug in strip 2.9.4

At 02:00 AM 2/28/99 -0600, Mumit Khan wrote:
>Good catch. We could do something like the following:
>
>  int flags = O_RDONLY;
>#ifdef O_BINARY
>  flags |= O_BINARY;
>#endif
>  fromfd = open (from, flags);
>  if (fromfd < 0)
>    return -1;
>  tofd = creat (to, 0777);
>
>As you note, we also need to handle the descriptor returned by creat
>(which is somewhat equiv to open'ing with a few flags -- O_CREAT |
>O_TRUNC | O_WRONLY).
>
>How about just using setmode on both the descriptors? Would that work?

Yep, I would use open in both places, with O_BINARY if it is defined.
I wouldn't use setmode() because many non-PC based systems do not have
setmode (this is part of a GNU package that should work everywhere).

This bug is unfortunate, the package is otherwise careful with the text/binary issue, e.g. defining flags such as FOPEN_WB for fopen. While I was at it, I did a grep for " open " in the directory and found a suspicious spot in ar.c  Not sure if it is actually a bug. Could someone more knowledgeable take a look?
/* Update the timestamp of the symbol map of an archive.  */

static void
ranlib_touch (archname)
<snip><snip>

  f = open (archname, O_RDWR, 0);