Re: cygwin-inst-19990222.tar.gz

"Suhaib M. Siddiqi" <Ssiddiqi@InspirePharm.Com> writes:

> I downloaded cygwin-inst-19990222.tar.gz from the snapshot directory.
>
> The libcygwin.a in the above mentioned archive is 785 KB as opposed to
> approx. 1.65 MB in the Original Cygwin-B20.1 distribution!
>
> After installing cygwin-inst-19990222 I started getting some strange EGCS
> behavior.  It complaint about *undefined _ctype_ external refferences*
>
> Is there something missing in libcygwin.a in Cygwin-inst-19990222.tar.gz?
> Why it is so small in size compare to libcygwin.a in the orginal
> Cygwin-b20.1 distribution?

The new snapshots have changed the interfaces for certain symbols (ctype
happens to be one of those), and you'll need to rebuild client libraries
such as f77/C++ runtime etc.

I believe that the next release (b21?) is meant to break binary
compatibility (not a bad thing considering the long term benefits), so
it's not a surprise. One of the "good" snapshots that I've used and
that does not break binary compatibility is possibly Jan-16-1997 (or
thereabouts).

Regards,
Mumit