Re: [ANN] Cygwin DEV survey

On Mon, 8 Mar 1999, Stipe Tolj wrote:

> As I mentioned in a previous mail. RedHat and SuSE don't provide ALL
> sources for the pre-compiled binaries, so there is some kind of conflict
> here towards GPL.

Not all of the packages they include are themselves licensed under the
GPL. Remember that the GPL covers individual pieces of software, not
collections. Thus, a CD can contain GPL'ed software and non-GPL'ed
software side by side. The GPL'ed software must include sources, the
non-GPL'ed software doesn't have this requirement.

However, in the specific case of software built for Cygwin, Cygnus'
licensing of the Cygwin CORE (ie: the DLL) is GPL, NOT LGPL. That means
that any software linked to the Cygwin DLL /must/ also be GPL'ed, unless
the authors/distributors have negotiated an alternative license with
Cygnus.

NOTE: IANAL, and IANACE (Cygnus Employee), so this is my reading of the
Cygwin License page. IASG (Smart Guy), though, so I don't think I'm off
base :-)

--
   Tripp Lilley + Innovative Workflow Engineering, Inc. + (tripp@iweinc.com)
  "When applying any correction, you should be swift, firm, without anger

--
   jane h. kilberg in http://www.dejanews.com/getdoc.xp?AN=448336391