Compiled executable differences between 9x and NT

(I would try to look this up on the web page, but
I'm having trouble connecting to cygnus.com at the
moment...)

What are the *exact* differences between 95 and NT,
as far as the cygwin environment and compiler are
concerned?

I would normally assume that if I stick with the
strict ANSI stuff (console I/O), limited to the
extent so that MSVC can also compile it (no great
reliance on the posix api's), that I should be able
to compile an executable on both 95 and NT and have
it behave the same on both.

Unfortunately, I have a program for which this isn't
happening.  Under NT, it runs as expected in all
cases.  Under 95, it's currently causing
a "blue screen" with cygwin egcs-1.1.1, and causes
a "This progam has performed an illegal operation
and will be shut down." message under mingw32.

I get these errors if the executable was compiled
and run under 95, or if the executable was compiled
under NT but run under 95.  (The same executable --
compiled under either 95 or NT -- runs fine under
NT.)

As a note, it compiles and runs fine with MSVC6.

Any thoughts as to what could be causing the problem?
Is there anything that is known to break 95 while
working under NT?

Thanks,
 - Jon

(Yes, I probably should try to get the whole source
available, but I'm in the process of trying to clean
it up for public distribution, so it may be awhile...)