problem with cygwin version of egcs

I am running cygwin b20.1 with win95 on a 486.  I installed the version
of egcs1.1.1 for cygwin b20.
When trying to run g77 (or gcc) I get

This program cannot be run in DOS mode.

Other b20 utils like "ls" and "du" work.  I did not check b20 version of
gcc before overlaying egcs version.  I have looked in the cygwin mailing
list archives and didn't find anything.  And I'm not sure it would be
discussed wrt egcs.

Has anyone else reported this problem?  This is the sort of error
message associated with trying to run a windows program from a DOS box,
which is not what I think I'm doing.  I don't know much about this.
Just trying to run g77 and b19 version tends to freeze up occasionally.
Thought I'd try an update.  B19 still works thankfully.
--
John McNally
Graduate Student, UCLA