B20.1 "reloc table overflow" problem

I am getting the following error from as.exe as shipped with Cygwin
B20.1:

  gcc -c -pipe -O2 -o gen/stdlib/debug-info.obj gen/stdlib/debug-info.c
  /Cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/i586-cygwin32/bin/as.exe: gen/stdlib/debug-info.obj: reloc overflow: 0x100fa > 0xffff
  gen/stdlib/debug-info.obj: File truncated
  {standard input}: Assembler messages:
  {standard input}:93068: FATAL: Can't close gen/stdlib/debug-info.obj
  : File truncated
  make: *** [gen/stdlib/debug-info.obj] Error 1

I gather this has something to do with my C file defining too many
symbols.  Unfortunately, the file is machine-generated, so it is not
easy for me to change.

Even without optimization, Microsoft's compiler and assembler have no
trouble processing this file, so this is not a limitation of the
binary format (unless Cygwin uses a different format, of course).

I would be glad to make the C file available to anyone who wants to
take a crack at debugging this problem (it is much too large to
include here).  Any workarounds or other suggestions would be
appreciated.

Thanks!

 - Pat