Re: B20: mv deletes files on error (NT)

At 03:24 PM 3/29/99 -0800, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>--- "Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" <lhall@rfk.com> wrote:
>--8<--
>> Is there any other point that's been missed?
>--8<--
>
>Can you think of others besides mv?  cp is out of the running as you can't copy
>a file ontop of itself and in win32 foo and Foo are the same file.
>
>===
>-                        \\||//

Well, let's flip the question.  Why is it not adequate to modify "ln" to
handle the issue of hard links?  This is not without precedent since it had
to be done at one time for file systems that don't support hard links (like
FAT).

Whether or not foo and Foo are the same file, I see no reason why one can't
rename it in a case-sensitive manner.  I can in the Explorer.  I can using
DOS commands (like MOVE).  Why shouldn't I be able to keep doing this in
Cygwin?  Why does the change to support hard links necessitate a change in
Cygwin where support for "mv" does not?  Mind you, I'm not arguing that
the support for hard links is bad but merely that the change made to support
them may not be the best approach to getting them!  Is there anyone who can
clarify that point?  The rest is just opinion, which while great for
discussion, usually wears thin after a time.

Larry Hall                             lhall@rfk.com
RFK Partners, Inc.                     (781) 239-1053
8 Grove Street                         (781) 239-1655
Wellesley, MA, 02482-7797              http://www.rfk.com