perl system("kill") function

I am having a new problem using a perl script that runs in tcsh or bash.
This script ran fine before I upgraded to NT4.0 Service Pack 4.

I want to search though the list of processes and use 'kill' to send the
USR1 and USR2 POSIX signals to a particular C program built with gcc in
cygwin.

Perl code snippet:

$processList = `ps`;

(find the process id of interest ($pid) by searching by program name
through $processList)

system("kill -USR1 $pid);

After I run the perl program, the "ps" and "kill" from within the perl
script now show up when I call "ps" from the shell..  So if I run this
script over and over, the process list keeps growing. This did not
happen when I had only Service Pack 3 installed.

Any ideas on what is happening?

TIA,

Greg