Re: Using Microsoft DLL's in GNU C

On Wed, 21 Apr 1999 terry@logicalvision.com wrote:

> I have taken the cygnus-b21 distribution and built a cross-compiler to
> target an i386-Linux platform so I can
> build applications on Windows 9x/NT that run on my Linux box. Now I would
> really love to use a certain MMX-based
> DLL from Intel (which source code is not provided) and run it on my Linux
> box. I know that Linux executables are
> ELF-32 format whereas Windows DLLs are quite a different beast. What I was
> hoping to hear was some clever
> person out there figured out how to load a Windows DLL to access the DLL
> functions. Although the two executables
> (a Linux program and DLL) are different, the underlying code is still
> native to i386.

Cleverness has nothing to do with it. What you're asking is not possible
in general, and if you want to know why, post this question to a Linux
newsgroup. Different runtime libraries, different addressing conventions,
different calling conventions, different register usage conventions, and
so on and on.

This is a mostly Linux and windows32 OS question, so please follow up in
one of the Linux or Microsoft OS lists or usenet discussion groups.

Regards,
Mumit