Re: Executing a program on a non-cygwin PC

> Dominique,
>
> Make sure that there is a /tmp directory.  Set the CYGWIN environment variable
> with appropriate values.  Make sure that the cygwin1.dll is on the PATH
> especially if the program is forking a process.
There was not a tmp directory. I make one, but the problem still remains.
Concerning the cygwin1.dll being in the PATH, I tried without success.

More interesting is the fact that I can execute the program on the first PC
(withc cygwin installed) in a Dos Box (I dont no the exact term for that because
the system is a french one) for which neither PATH or CYGWIN are defined : the
program executes correctly as soon as there is a copy of cygwin1.dll in the same
folder than the executable file. If I remove this copy the executable prompts a
windows complaining about the lack for the dll in the standard locations.

On the second PC (without cygwin installed), when the dll is in the same folder
than the executable, the programs starts correctly (I get some trace messages)
then crashes. If the dll is not present I get the complaining window.
This suggests me that the dll is correctly seen.

I suspect the installation procedure is writing something in the system, but I
not clearly see what.

I think I will try to install cygwin on the second PC, and then remove it piece by piece until the problem appears again.

> Question: Are the two NT stations identical in device and os level?  It has
> been noted that sp4 gives people headaches.
The two stations are absolutely identical in hardware and software (the only
difference is the name :-)) : Windows NT4 Service Pack 3

off topic :
It is the first time I use a mailing list : is it normal I receive the messages two times ?

      Cordialement

Dominique MICOLLET       Email   : Dominique.Micollet@u-bourgogne.fr
Laboratoire LE2I    Universite de Bourgogne
9, Avenue Alain SAVARY  BP 400        Tel     : +33/(0)3-80-39-59-27
21011 DIJON CEDEX       FRANCE        Tfx     : +33/(0)3-80-39-68-69