Re: configure b20.1 fails

On Mon, 26 Apr 1999, Siegfried HOEFINGER wrote:

> Trying  hard to configure cygwin b20.1 on a i686-pc-linux box
> for a i586-cygwin32 target:
>
> ../src/configure --prefix=/stuff/cygb20 --target=i586-cygwin32 -v
>
> It always hangs with the error message:
>
> In file included from ../../../src/tk/unix/tkAppInit.c:16:
> ../../../src/tk/unix/../generic/tk.h:74: X11/Xlib.h: No such file or
> directory
> make[2]: ***[tkAppInit.o] Error 1 ***
> make[2]: Leaving directory....
>
> So is there anybody out there, who could probably explain me how to
> overcome this problem ?
>
> I tried to build with additional options like --without-tk, or
> --disable-tk,
> but nothing seemed to work properly !
>
> regards,
> Siegfried

Are you sure you're telling us everything?? Tcl/Tk/Tix/itcl/GDB are
*NOT* configured when cygwin dev tools are built as cross tools! This
is what you should see when run configure:

  $ ../src/configure --target=i586-cygwin32 -v
  Configuring for a i686-pc-linux-gnu host.
  *** This configuration is not supported in the following subdirectories:
     target-libgloss gdb tcl tk expect itcl tix
    (Any other directories should still work fine.)

Unless you provide more info, it'll be hard to tell what the problem is:

1. did you mix dev and user tools packages in the same tree or is
   this just the dev tools?

2. output of configure.

   $ ../src/configure [...] -v > configure.log 2>&1

   The important part is in the beginning, where it says what is not
   being configured.

3. The directory listing in the object directory after running configure.
   My tree has the following the cross-build directory:

Makefile        config.status*  gcc/            make.log        send-pr/
bfd/            dejagnu/        i586-cygwin32/  mh-frag         sim/
binutils/       diff/           intl/           mmalloc/        texinfo/
bison/          etc/            ld/             opcodes/        utils/
byacc/          flex/           libiberty/      patch/
config.cache    gas/            make/           readline/

Of course, you can just tell make to ignore the errors (``make -i'') and
keep on going for now, but I believe you've somehow misconfigured your
system.

Regards,
Mumit