Re: Trying to read raw cdrom

"Simmons,Bruce Q." wrote:

> Corinna:
> Have been emailing with delorie about being able to read a raw cdrom
> using dd.  I am running both an NT 4.0 and a win98 system.  I can dd a
> file from the cdrom BUT not the entire cdrom starting from block 0.
>
> Any suggestions since all other that myself and Delorie have had have
> failed.
>
> -Bruce

Try using the patched B20.1 DLL in

ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/cygwin/porters/Vinschen_Corinna/B20

named

        cv_cygwin1.dll.README
        cv_cygwin1.dll.tar.gz

Then, on the command line:

	mount -b //./X: /dev/cdrom

where X is the drive letter of your CD-ROM drive. Then, for example,
try:

	od -c /dev/cdrom | less

or, to read the first sector and write it into a file:

	dd if=/dev/cdrom of=cdrom.sektor0 bs=2048 count=1

The patch will be part of the upcoming B21 release.
Note: This extension will only work on NT, because 9X doesn't support
raw devices!

Hope, this helps,
Corinna