Re: problem w/ mingw32/egcs/msvcrt and file reads (fwd)

Paul Thiessen <paul@grserv.med.jhmi.edu> writes:
> Arrrrgh! <expletives deleted> It was just me being dumb - forgot that
> "string" is in std namespace, so the linker I think was getting confused
> somehow - since GNU's std:: hack prevents the compiler from warning me
> that "string" is undefined, it compiled anyway, and died. When I do the
> (correct) "std::string" or include a "using namespace std", everything is
> ok.
>   Sorry to bug you all with useless messages... although of course, if GNU
> had the std libraries implemented correctly, it wouldn't have been a
> problem, or at least, the compiler would have told me the problem right
> away... Oh well, I'm sure they're working on it.

And you're not the first one to have run into this problem! Good news
is that the standard library issue is being dealt with by the libstdc++
project and we shall have a compliant library sometime in the (hopefully
near) future.

btw, I consider this current behaviour as a bug, but of course, the
std:: hack is also necessary for portable code. EGCS-1.2 will have
much better diagnostics for cases like this.

Regards,
Mumit