Re: bash sees all lines as 80 chars long

-----Original Message-----
From: Stewart, Wayne <wayne.stewart@sonosite.com>
To: 'Ian Zimmerman' <itz@lbin.com>; cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com
<cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com>
Date: Monday, May 10, 1999 12:23 PM
Subject: RE: bash sees all lines as 80 chars long

>> >Execute 'stty size' again - it reflects
>> >the change.
>> >

>> Make Windows send bash a SIGWINCH when the size changes.
>> Good luck :-)
>>

>As above, after resizing the window and executing
>'stty size', I see the new window size in the
>output of 'stty' which is a cygwin program, so the
>new window's line length is available to cygwin.
>
>So, if the only issue is bash being *automatically*
>notified of the window resize event - I'd be happy
>with some manual process to tell bash of the new
>line length, e.g., 'export COLUMNS=110' or something
>similar.
>
>So does this mean that currently there is not even
>a manual process to reset line length?
>Is 80 chars for shell lines hard-coded in the
>cygwin port?

Definitely not.  I happily use a 100x40 bash window all the time.  But it
has to be fixed for a particular run (I do it by changing the Properties
tab on the batch file) because Unix programs only modify their idea of
screen size in repsonse to SIGWINCH, and Windows doesn't have anything of
the sort (or else it is too different and not worth messing up bash code).

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Zimmerman;Ian;T
FN:Myself
ORG:Lightbinders, Inc.
TITLE:Network Administrator
TEL;WORK;VOICE:(415-)621-5746
TEL;WORK;FAX:(415-)621-5898
ADR;WORK;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:;;2325 3rd Street=0D=0A#324;San Francisco;California;94107;USA
LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:2325 3rd Street=0D=0A#324=0D=0ASan Francisco, California 94107=0D=0AUSA
URL:http://www.lbin.com
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:itz@lbin.com
REV:19990510T193442Z
END:VCARD