Re: cd $HOME

Ian,

I believe I've had the same trouble you're experiencing. I solved it by
configuring the shortcut I always use to launch BASH. You can exert all
kinds of control over the startup behavior:

- Starting directory
- Additional arguments to BASH.
- Window size, placement, font and colors
- System-level accellerator key for launching or bringing window to front

Create a shortcut to BASH and put it in a convenient location (for me,
that's the desktop). Access the shortcut's properties dialog (by selecting
the last command in the menu that results from right-mousing the shortcut
icon). One of the panes / tabs of that dialog is the "Shortcut" pane. Here
you can control the current directory at the time BASH starts up (the
"Start in:" text field) and the options passed to BASH (the "Target:" text
field). The "Shortcut Key:" field is where you can set the launch / restore
key. Font control, window size and placement (and scroll buffer size) and
the colors of the text and background each have their own tabbed panes.

A control freak's delight, I'd say.

Randy Schulz
Teknowledge Corp.
Palo Alto, CA USA