Why you shouldn't use WinZIP on tar files [Re: texinfo install]

On Wed, 12 May 1999, Ian Zimmerman wrote:

> But WHY?  Sorry, I understand that I'm taking your time to ask a
> low-priority problem, but I can never be satisfied with answers of the type
> "just do this, it works".  What is it that WinZip screws up?  Is it the
> CR/LF conversion?  I turned that off.
> --

If you know what you're doing, it works just fine. The trouble is that
most users of WinZIP don't notice these hidden conversions, and a few
other things, and it takes time away from "real work" to answer these
questions or track these non-bugs.

WinZip doesn't understand a few things that may be in the tar file:

  - hard links
  - symbolic links

and there's the damned auto-conversion.

As far as I'm concerned, you can type in the bytes using a hex editor; I
just don't want bug reports if you miss a byte here and there.

I'm taking bets on when this issue will rear its ugly head again ;-)

Regards,
Mumit