error string substituted for %E in filename

Why does this program create a file named ".new.error 2D.1".  That
surely wasn't my intention and is croaking cvs client when checking
out a file called "%ED.1". Obviously something thinks "%E" should be
expanded to the current error string but in the open command? Not what
I would have expected.

Do I have to quote % to work around this?

config: cygwin 20.1, NT 4.

#include "sys/types.h"
#include "sys/stat.h"
#include "fcntl.h"