Re: Anti-SPAM measures on the cygwin mailing list

Chris Faylor enscribed thusly:
> Hi,
> Our mailing list guru informed me that he has invalidated the old
> gnu-win32@cygnus.com email address.  Mail to that address will now
> get a "don't send it there, send it here" message.

> This means that we now can fully utilize the RBL spam blocking system.  As
> an additional measure he has also set things up to reject any email to
> cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com which does not have cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com
> in either its To; or Cc: field.

> Using RBL means that there may be more people who are unable to post to
> this list.  If an attempt to post to the cygwin mailing list results in
> a bounce indicating that your ISP is Relay Black Listed then follow the
> instructions in the email to help your ISP rectify the situation.

	How about throwing in ORBS and DSSL to boot?

	ORBS, the Open Relay Behavior System lists systems that allow
open relaying and blocks mail from them.  That nails some valid mail
but more and more of these miss-managed systems are being abused.  Of the
last several spam messages I have gotten directly, all would have been
blocked by ORBS.

	DSSL, the DynamicIP Spam Source List, is a service similar to RBL
but it lists the dialin blocks of major spam sites.  Most normal mail goes
through some fixed legitimate server.  This serves to block the dial in
spammer engines.

	You can get that info as well as the "Multiple DNS blacklist patch"
for sendmail up at: http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/spam.html

> Hopefully, we will now be seeing much less spam on the cygwin mailing
> list.

> -chris

	Mike
--