Re: Strangeness executing script with space in filename

--- Dirk Fieldhouse <fieldhouse@logica.com> wrote:
> B20.1, NT4W/SP3
>
> Suppose I have files such as the following:
>
> /tmp/foo.exe
> /tmp/fum
> /tmp/New Folder/foo.exe
> /tmp/New Folder/fum
>
> where fum is a shell script. In bash 2.02, suppose w,x,y,z are variables set
> to each of these filenames.
>
> Then
>
> bash> "$w"	# executes foo.exe
>
> bash> "$x"	# executes fum script
>
> bash> "$y"	# executes foo.exe
>
> bash> "$z"	# loses: /test/New: not found
>
> (and incidentally z="/test/New\ Folder/fum" is no better)
>
> I'm not sure whether this is a bash/ash issue or more profound, eg cygwin
> exec().
> Any ideas?

Uh, one place it's /tmp/New Folder/fum and the other place it's /test/New\
Folder/fum.  Besides that, the FAQ or perhaps the README at the cygwin/latest
directory states that you'll have problems with _spaces_ within a path.  Yes
quoting should be used with the space.
===
"Earnie Boyd" <mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com>
CYGWIN RELATED HELP: