Re: cygwin tape support

Zhen Xu wrote:

> corinna,
>
> i was using the tape support lib from you site with 20.1. i am running on
> NT WKS 4.0 w/ SP3. my tape drive is Archieve/Corner 4/8G automounter DAT.
> the SCSI card is Adaptec 2940. NT uses the default DAT driver. whenever i
> try to un-tar a tape created with LINUX, i got a permission denied. i
> searched the maillist archieve, and i found a similar problem with a
> Exabyte 8mm. here is the trace that you requesed and hope you could find
> out the problem. let me know if you need any help on the hardware. thanks!

You get this `permission denied' when you try to read a tape, that is
written with another blocking factor than the Windows tape driver is set to.
Windows has no automatical recognition for this. You must(!) know the
blocking (U*Xes typically uses 5K blocking on tape devices) and you can set
it with my `mt' command from ftp site

ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/cygwin/porters/Vinschen_Corinna/B20

named
	mt-1.8.README
	mt-1.8.tar.gz

To set blocksize to e.g. 5K, type in:

        mt setblk 5120

The default blocksize under NT is 512 Bytes. It's set back to this value
after each reboot.

Another `wonderful' feature of Windows is, that you only may set blocksize,
if a tape is in the drive.

For convenience, I have patched versions of `tar' and `cpio' on the
same site. They try to set the blocksize of the device to the blocksize,
which is used by the command by default or set via command line option.

Hope, this helps
Corinna