Re: /bin/mail anyone?

   Sender: cygwin-owner@sourceware.cygnus.com
   Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 00:52:23 -0500 (CDT)
   From: Mumit Khan <khan@xraylith.wisc.EDU>
   cc: cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com

   On Fri, 18 Jun 1999 itz@lbin.com wrote:

   > I am looking for a minimalistic user mail agent that will just
   > impersonate sendmail for Emacs and the like, ie. just read a
   > message on stdin and relay it to a real SMTP listener.  I need
   > this because I want to use Emacs as my mailer in the same way as
   > I do on Unix, and AFAIK Emacs doesn't know how to speak SMTP
   > itself.  (Actually, there are the smtpmail and feedmail packages,
   > but how to integrate them into mail mode?)
   >  If nobody has a pointer/hint, I probably want it badly enough
   > that I'll eventually write one.
   >  I also toyed with the idea of getting regular sendmail to build,
   > but the sendmail distribution contains a file aux.m4 :-(

   Others have suggested sendmail already, so I won't plug it. I have
   access to AT&T sources, and I see a terrific little mailx
   implementation that handles remote smpt servers. Is there a free
   implementation? This is not the same mailx that's usually part of
   Linux distributions, sorry.

   If you're using Emacs, why not use the VM package. I don't use it,
   but I seem to remember that it supports POP2/3 etc. There must be
   dozens of other elisp packages out there.

Yes, but my problem is with OUTGOING mail.  All Emacs mailers
ultimately rely on sendmail or something that behaves like it to send
messages, they don't talk SMTP themselves.

   One choice folks interested in a "batch" MUA may consider the new
   incarnations of fetchmail, which can forward/tunnel mail through
   smtp connection.

Do they accept mail on stdin?  I was an early fetchmail adopter under
Linux and that would be a surprise to me, knowing that fetchmail
consciously (almost rigidly) applies the "one job only" philosophy.

--
Ian Zimmerman
Lightbinders, Inc.