Re: directory structure

--- itz@lbin.com wrote:
-8<-
> My opinion is that /usr/local in general IS useful both for Linux and
> for Cygwin.  The distinction is not one of native vs. GNU tools as you
> point out, but one of distribution vs. local additions.  So the Cygwin
> full.exe should unpack to (an equivalent of) /usr, while packages from
> the Franken acrhive unpack correctly to /usr/local.  If a locally
> installed package "shadows" a distributed one that's OK too.

I agree with Ian.  I put the cygwin dist in /usr and anything I build in
/usr/local.  Actually that isn't exactly true but effectively true.  What I
really do is to install in /install/package-#.##/... and ln -s the files to the
/usr/local directory.

> The exceptions are programs and files which are part of the system and
> cannot be "shadowed", i.e. /bin, /sbin, /etc, /lib, /dev.

I mv the "important" programs to /bin, I.E.: cygwin1.dll, sh.exe, bash.exe,
mount.exe, umount.exe, cygcheck.exe and cygpath.exe.

Also, I don't mount the cygwin H-* director(y|ies) to /usr, etc. but create the
/bin /etc /var/... /usr/... and /usr/local/... directories and mv things to the
appropriate directories.  This has the advantage of fewer mount entries in the
registry, I can support more than one version of cygwin and a time, and I can
segregate the mingw32 versions into a separate directory.  This is accomplished
by simply executing from dos `sh -c "cd /bin && ./umount / && ./mount
C:\\newroot /"'.  I use the prompt to remind me which root I'm in.
===
Earnie Boyd <mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com>

Newbies, please visit
<http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html>

(If you respond to the list, then please don't cc me)