B20 - Getting substring functionality to work

Hello all,

I am trying to get substring functionality to work for use within GNUMake
under WindowsNT. cygwin is B20 with the 16Jan99 updated dll.  The bash
reference says:

${parameter:offset}
${parameter:offset:length}
Expands to up to length characters of parameter, starting at offset. If
length is omitted, expands to the substring of parameter, starting at the
character specified by offset. length and offset are arithmetic expressions
(see section Arithmetic Evaluation). This is referred to as Substring
Expansion. length must evaluate to a number greater than or equal to zero.
If offset evaluates to a number less than zero, the value is used as an
offset from the end of the value of parameter. If parameter is `@', the
result is length positional parameters beginning at offset. If parameter is
an array name indexed by `@' or `*', the result is the length members of
the array beginning with ${parameter[offset]}. Substring indexing is
zero-based unless the positional parameters are used, in which case the
indexing starts at 1.

At the bash shell prompt this works:
$ JUNK=BLAHBLAHWOOFWOOF
$ BLAH=${JUNK}
$ echo $BLAH
BLAHBLAHWOOFWOOF

But, any other permutation that adds a colon to the invocation as in:
$ BLAH=${JUNK:2:2}
results in:
Syntax error: Bad substitution

What am I doing wrong?  If I get this to work what happens if I use a
negative offset that has an absolute value greater than the length of the
string and/or of the length value?

Regards,
William