Re: Upper case filenames

--- Joshua Rosen <rozzin@geekspace.com> wrote:
> Ron House wrote:
>
> Actually, doesn't DOS write and present file-names as uppercase?
> Wouldn't that make the Linux module's file-name-mapping `incorrect',
> and Cygwin's `correct'?

That may be true of DOS but the DOS console window would present them in the
case they were created.  However, the original poster was asking about the 8.3
filename!!  How is it that you get the 8.3 DOS filename with cygwin?

> Could you give some more detail on why just using lowercase
> file-names in the makefile is problematic? Linux sees them as lowercase, and
> Cygwin is case-insensitive, so I'd think that everything would be alright.

As far as I remember the cygwin product is case SENSITIVE.  For instance a file
prog1.c would be interpreted by gcc to be a C program while PROG1.C would be a
C++ program.  Try doing `find -name proc1.c' when the filename is actually
PROG1.C.  The FAT filesystem and the default for the NTFS filesystem is case
insensitive but case preserving for the long filenames but store the DOS 8.3
names in UPPERCASE, so your point that Linux is incorrect would be correct if
Linux is showing the 8.3 DOS filename in lowercase but I'm not that familiar
with FAT emulation on Linux.

> Are you having problems with detecting things through file-names?
>
> 		-Rozzin.
>
> --

===
Earnie Boyd <mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com>

Newbies, please visit
<http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html>

(If you respond to the list, then please don't cc me)