mingw32 vs. cygwin

Hello.  I'm new to these tools and have a question about these two
compilers: cygwin b20.1 and mingw32 both with egcs 1.1.2.  I will be mainly
developing native win32 code not porting unix programs to win32.  Although
the compilers are the same, does the overhead of the cygwin.dll
significantly slow down programs?  The reason I ask this is because I want
to use the blitz++ library.  I tried compiling this library with mingw32 +
the cygwin user tools.  Although the configure step ran properly, I got
errors during the make (seemed like something to do with paths and not
finding files).  I had no problems compiling the library with the full set
of cygwin tools.  Because of this, I would like to stay with cygwin if there
isn't much of a performance hit.  Thanks very much.

Reza