Re: Windows TRACE message

"Lars Gregersen" <lg@popeye.kt.dtu.dk> writes:

> I prefer to use the API function OutputDebugString. It isn't as
> powerful as the printf type of commands, but it sends a string to a
> seperate debug window. This also has the great effect that I'f you're
> testing multiple programmes at the same time you get the output in
> order in the same window. It works for GUI and console programmes.
>
> You can get a debug string viewer (for free) at www.sysinternals.com

Lars,

Thanks for the very useful pointer.

I tend to use a debugging stream (most of my code is C++) that has
a subclass for win32 that opens a scrolled window and just dumps
everything there. Very simple, and you can use iostream style
formatting.

  debugout << __FILE__ << ": " __LINE << ": "
    << "error message here ...." << endl;

The default class simply dumps to cerr.

One of these days I'll clean up the copyright and release it. it's
part of a commercial package, but since I own it, I can probably
convince our commercial arm to make it freely available.

The trick is to make sure that the global constructor for the
debug stream is initialized before anything else, but right
after iostreams is initialized.

Regards,
Mumit