problem with "javadoc -link", using "file:" URL

(Besides the newsgroups, is there a better mailing list for discussion
questions about javadoc?  Our news server is down, and I don't know how long
it will be down, so I'm looking for an alternate forum to ask these
questions (that is actually read).)

On Solaris, I was able to specify an option like this to "javadoc":

	-link file:${JDKHOME}/docs/api

This was inside the "build" rule in my Makefile, to build the documentation
for my project.  This worked fine.  Now, on NT, using the Cygwin tools, and
with MAKE_MODE set to "unix", I cannot get this to work.  Depending on what
variation I try, it either fails with an error message, or it silently
creates links to a directory which does not exist.

My JDK distribution is in "D:\jdk1.2.2".  I've tried every variation I can
think of to fill in that field with.  Initially my JDKHOME variable was set
to "d:/jdk1.2.2".  In this state, it generates links in the html files like
this:

class java.lang.<A
HREF="file:d:/jdk1.2.2/docs/api/java/lang/Object.html"><B>Object</B></A>

When I try to follow this link, it says it can't find it.

So, then I tried manually changing the html file to use this:

class java.lang.<A
HREF="file://d|/jdk1.2.2/docs/api/java/lang/Object.html"><B>Object</B></A>

This worked fine.  However, setting the "-link" argument to:

	file://d|/jdk1.2.2/docs/api <file://d|/jdk1.2.2/docs/api>

Makes javadoc fail with:

javadoc: Error fetching URL: file://d|/jdk1.2.2/docs/api/package-list